Extinguishing a Grease Fire
Grease fires happen when collections of oil or grease on a stove, oven or fryer get hot enough to ignite. Grease fires are extremely dangerous because the fuel source (the grease) is a liquid, and easily splashed. Grease fires burn very hot and can quickly spread to cabinets or other flammable areas of the kitchen.
The most important thing you can do to prevent a fire in the kitchen is to stay put while cooking. The most common grease fires are the ones where the cooks left their food unattended.
You only have a few moments to either put out a grease fire or escape the house.
- DO NOT USE WATER ON A GREASE FIRE! (see Tips) Start evacuating everyone from the building. Fires spread extremely fast and can overwhelm victims in minutes. Treat burns only after evacuating the building.
- Turn off the burner as your first plan of action. The fire might go out with this simple step.
- Call 911. There’s no reason to wait.
- The easiest way to smother a grease fire is to cover it with a pan lid.
- Grease fires can also be smothered with baking soda. Keep baking soda near your stove/oven as a precautionary tool.
- A dry chemical fire extinguisher will also work but has way more chemicals and will contaminate your kitchen..but hey better that than a burned down house.
- A newly developed fire extinguishing spray is now available. Highly effective on common household fires including grease fires. Dispensed from a common aerosol spray can.
- DO NOT PUT WATER ON A GREASE FIRE! This can not be stressed enough. Pouring water on burning grease or oil will not extinguish the fire. It will only cause the burning oil to splash, spreading the grease fire around.
- DO NOT TRY TO CARRY THE FIRE OUTSIDE! Trying to carry a pot or pan full of burning oil will just slosh and splash the grease fire.
- If clothes are caught on fire; STOP, DROP, and ROLL to extinguish them.